Tuesday, April 26, 2005

The Filibuster...My Take

I have a bit of a dilemma. I’m in a tad of a quandary. I just don’t get it. Maybe I’m slow, I don’t know. But why, can someone please answer me why in the hell do we have a ‘filibuster’ in the friggin’ first place?
It has to be the most anti-Democratic crap I can personally imagine.
Let’s look at what it does. At it’s most basic, it stops a vote! Not very Democratic! And it allows the minority party to overcome the majority. Again, not very Democratic!
Shoot, if we ran our elections under this very theory, John Kerry would be the sitting president.
Sure, G.W. got more votes, damn it, but that is just ‘tyranny of the majority’! We can’t have that! What about minority rights? The neo-JFK should be manning his New England nuance machine in the oval office right now. Democratic vote be damned. We need to be fair. And tolerant. And compassionate.
But I digress. The filibuster...seems to me it’s just a rule for those who fear the future. Why would the majority now stand for such an inane idea unless it was for fear of being a minority in the future? My God, are there no politicians with balls? Other than Hillary, I mean.
Let’s not just get rid of this communistic idea when dealing with judicial appointees, let’s scrap it all together. And leave the fate of the minority party where it really belongs, in the hands of voting Americans.