Tuesday, April 05, 2005

The Seat Belt Law

Policeman: Sir..
S&S: Yes?
Policeman: Do you know why I’ve pulled you over?
S&S: No...
Policeman: Well, sir, you are not wearing a seat belt.
S&S: Yes, officer. I am not.
Policeman: That is against the law, sir. May I see some ID?
S&S: What is against the law?
Policeman: Not wearing a seat belt. I will have to ticket you for it.
S&S: It is against the law not to wear a seat belt?
Policeman: Yes. But I’m sure you are well aware of that....
S&S: And you are going to issue me a ticket?
Policeman: Yes, I am.
S&S: So, is this a criminal offense?
Policeman: Not exactly...
S&S: But I will be fined for it?
Policeman: Yes, sir, the amount of...
S&S: Can I ask you a question?
Policeman: Well, OK.
S&S: Am I a criminal because I do not wear a seat belt, or is it your law that makes me a criminal?
Policeman: It is the law sir.
S&S: You did not answer the question.
Policeman: It makes no sense...
S&S: Let me rephrase the question. Was I criminal before I entered my vehicle and chose not to wear my seat belt?
Policeman: That is not for me to decide...
S&S: Or does your Seat Belt law make me a criminal?
Policeman: Can I see your ID, please?
S&S: On what moral or value system is your law based?
Policeman: It is for your safety!
S&S: Was I in an accident?
Policeman: No, of course not.
S&S: Then on what is this law based.
Policeman: It is protect you in case of an accident.
S&S: So it is a law to protect me in case I am in an accident. And yet I have not been. And I am still getting a ticket for not wearing a seat belt.
Policeman: Yes sir.
S&S: So I am getting a ticket for not doing something in order to protect me from something else that has never happened.
Policeman: It is only $75.00. I am sure you can afford it.
S&S: So the fact that I can afford it makes it right that you are making me a criminal merely for an inaction of an uncertain outcome?
Policeman: You are not a criminal, this is not a jailable offense.
S&S: Is that so?
Policeman: Yes it is.
S&S: So, there is no way I will ever see jail time from this offense?
Policeman: That is correct.
S&S: Good. Because I will not pay this fine. I believe this law is immoral.
Policeman: That is not a good idea sir.
S&S: Why?
Policeman: Because your failure to pay will cause you to have a warrant signed out on you.
S&S: Ah....so if I refuse to pay, there will be a warrant for my arrest?
Policeman: Yes. And you will be arrested.
S&S: So, you were incorrect when you said that this is not a jailable offense?
Policeman: When you put it that way then, yes, I was.
S&S: So, let me get this straight. In order to protect me from some accident that by odds has very little chance of happening, you are willing to put my life in jeopardy by throwing me in jail with murderers and rapists?
Policeman: Yes, can I see your ID?
S&S: Here it is officer. Any suggestions for my trip to the big house?
Policeman: No, Mr. Stones. Here is your ID, you are free to go.