Monday, March 28, 2005

Random Thoughts

-I do not want a theocracy.
And regardless of the great lie circulating now from the left, neither do most Conservatives.
That said, it seems to me, we now may be facing something far worse. A Judiocracy.
A system not based on law, but rather the whims of untouchable ex-ambulance chasers.
A system based on the political or psychological bent of theory driven black robed tyrants. Who somehow have now usurped the authority to enact law...and worse. To put to death an innocent non-terminal American woman. To adjudicate quality of life.
I do not want a theocracy.
But I must admit I would feel much more comfortable with a country based in morality than one based on the mental meanderings of a nine man, or worse, a single man panel.
I find it odd that in a Democratic(or if you must Republic) style society, that the people have so little power over the judiciary. The public does not vote for higher level judges. And those same judges have no term limits. Where exactly are our checks and balances?
I do not want a theocracy.
But I have no problem with religious symbols being displayed in the public arena. Any religious symbols. Christian, Buddhist, Islamic, Jewish, Toltec, Satanic, whatever. I just don’t care. And more importantly, I am not offended by them.
It has always seemed rather funny to me that the same people whose mantra is Tolerance have such little tolerance for the sacred symbols of others.

-Heard a commercial on the radio today asking for money to feed starving children in South America. In countries whose quality of life is obviously well below ours. Got me thinking. Why would I want to give money to starving children who are doomed to a low quality of life? Doomed to grow up in a country where the best they can hope for is to work 80 hours a week for a non-living wage. Seems like the better thing to do would be to just let the little buggers starve. Who would want to live like that anyway? Oh yeah, and we all know it’s a euphoric, natural way to go. Who am I to step in the way of Mother Nature? Think I’ll just go buy me another PlayStation.

-Heard something else on the radio today.
Bob Schmidt, at ABC News had this to say:

‘There is a large group of protestors outside the hospice where Terry Schiavo is being cared for.’


‘Being cared for’? Another great American journalist.

-I used to love science...well, I actually I still do. What I mean to say, I guess, is that I am now much less naive about those who practice it.
I recall throughout my schooling how much awe I felt for scientists and the vastness that was their minds.
That was then.
Now, more and more I have come to believe they are merely idiots with cool technology.
Where is all this coming from? They want to put human brain cells in rats. Human brain cells in rats.
I am no Neurosurgeon, but this does not seem to be that great of an idea to me. We can not get rid of the rats we have now. You know, the stupid ones. Do we really need super intelligent Rodentia?
OK, I know that this is not the reason our beloved men in white coats are doing this, but they have no idea what will come from it. They really have no idea.

This is not an isolated incident. Scientists play God all the time.
Back in 1999, the Relativistic Heavy Ion Collider opened at the Brookhaven National Laboratory. It was to be used to prove the existence of strange quark matter by smashing atoms together at unfathomable speeds. Scientists knew this would create more energy than anything they had previously attempted. And they knew something else. According to physics, there could be some rather frightening outcomes from this experiment. A group of four physicists appointed to study possible negative affects came up with these possibilities: 1) A black hole may be created which would suck in the Earth, 2) The collision could ‘freeze space’ throughout the universe, thus destroying it, or 3) It could change the very nature of all matter.
Guess what, they did it anyway. And we are still here, so obviously none of those things happened. But it shows the utter disregard that is the status quo of many scientists. They do because they can. Not necessarily for what good may come.*
But that’s science in the 21st century...Willard meets Mary Shelley’s Frankenstein.


*Tom Siegfried. Strange Matters. The Berkley Publishing group, 2002. Pg 13-15