Thursday, March 10, 2005

I'm a Democrat?

As I have stated infinitum, I am a Conservative. No reason to beat that dead horse. But I was thinking today...yes, I do that occasionally...that as a lad I considered myself somewhat liberal. So what has happened here? Have I changed that much? I think not.

What I do believe is this...My country has moved far to the left. Because of this, I seem further to the right. Even, sometimes, to myself. Per many in society, I am now a ‘Right-wing Zealot’. But I say this is only because the ‘Left-wing Zealots’ have moved the center.

Looking at my beliefs, I have come to this determination, I am a John F. Kennedy Democrat. There I said it. I am not a Ted Kennedy Democrat. I refer to this type of person as a Liberal. I am not a Howard Dean Democrat...that would be a Leftist. I am not a Hillary Democrat...hold on, with the way she's been acting lately, is she even a Hillary Democrat. I am not a Michael Moore Democrat...that creature would be a Moron.

But let us look a little deeper into what I’ve just stated. A John F. Kennedy Democrat. What is that, exactly? Well, let’s look at the man’s actual words(from brainyquote.com):

‘A man does what he must - in spite of personal consequences, in spite of obstacles and dangers and pressures - and that is the basis of all human morality.’


Those sound like leftist words? That a man can and should persist ‘in spite of obstacles and dangers and pressures? You mean no victimhood? How, Ted, could this be your kin? And what is this about ‘human morality’? Where’s the moral relativism?

‘Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty ...’ Inaugural Speech 1961


Sound familiar to anyone? Seems JFK had a little GW in him.

‘And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you-- ask what you can do for your country.’


Wha...?!?!??! No entitlements? How would libs get elected? And this whole responsibility thing, he had some nerve!

‘A young man who does not have what it takes to perform military service is not likely to have what it takes to make a living. Today's military rejects include tomorrow's hard-core unemployed.’


Yes. He said it. But I guess you peacenik protesters already know he’s right.

‘Do not pray for easy lives. Pray to be stronger men.’


Nothing to say here, I just like that quote.

‘I know there is a God - I see the storm coming and I see his hand in it - if he has a place then I am ready - we see the hand.’


From a President? That is secular blasphemy!

‘Israel was not created in order to disappear - Israel will endure and flourish. It is the child of hope and the home of the brave. It can neither be broken by adversity nor demoralized by success. It carries the shield of democracy and it honors the sword of freedom.'


Yep, he said that too.

‘The tax on capital gains directly affects investment decisions, the mobility and flow of risk capital... the ease or difficulty experienced by new ventures in obtaining capital, and thereby the strength and potential for growth in the economy.’


Any of you tax the rich libs listening? Sounds oddly like trickle down economics...

‘There are many people in the world who really don't understand-or say they don't-what is the great issue between the free world and the Communist world. Let them come to Berlin!’


You mean Communism is bad? Sorry Mr. Soros.

‘There is always inequity in life. Some men are killed in war and some men are wounded, and some men are stationed in the Antarctic and some are stationed in San Francisco. It's very hard in military or personal life to assure complete equality. Life is unfair.’


And a philosopher, too. ‘Life is unfair’...you can not codify life.

‘Those who dare to fail miserably can achieve greatly.’


Tough words to the ‘Party of No.’

How far has the Democratic party gone? Let’s just say as I was driving to Washington D.C. I saw a sign the said “The Democratic National Party Left”, so I turned around and went home.