Thursday, March 31, 2005

My Adjudication

I have never been a lawyer. I own no black robes. I can only hope to strive for the wisdom that judges so obviously possess...their Solomon-like sagacity.

But if I were the judge on this case from the beginning, I believe the public would never have even been aware of the Shiavos and the Shindlers.

The hearing would have gone something like this:

Judge: Mr. Shiavo, do you have any written indication of the wishes of your wife.

Michael Shiavo: No sir, but she told me once...

Judge: Mr. Shiavo, hearsay will not be allowed in this court. You sir, wish for the death of your incapacitated wife?

Michael Shiavo: She would have wished it.

Judge: So you believe she should die?

Michael Shiavo: Yes.

Judge: And you believe she is brain dead and has no consciousness?

Michael Shiavo: Yes, sir.

Judge: So no matter what I decide, she will be unaware of the decision.

Michael Shiavo: I guess so.

Judge: So if I was to let her live, she would actually have no idea that this would be the case.

Michael Shiavo: Well, when you put it like that...

Judge: And Mr. and Mrs Shindler, you are willing to take care of your daughter?

Parents: Yes, sir. We love our daughter.

Judge: Then that will be my decision.

Common sense. Something that seems to get lost in the verbal and pseudo-logical meanderings of the law.