Sunday, January 02, 2005

Know Thyself

My wife, I love her dearly, for some reason had put on MSNBC this morning as I sat in front of my labtop blogrolling. My ears perked up as in the background I heard, “Has America given enough to the tsunami relief? Watch tonight on....” What the..?!?
“Why have you put this tripe on?” I asked.
“That’s not on now, it’s on later tonight.” She replied.
Somewhat appeased, I went back to my addiction.
That was not where it ended however, there’s always a however, as minutes later I paused to regain my eyesight. Because my laptop was on my lap and the remote on a distant table, this is what I had to endure....A reporter donning a blue(telling???) santa hat, surrounded by a violently jerking chorus, badly rapping about the holidays or something or other. Rapping? How seasonally heartwarming. I shook my head. Oh, but there’s more. As the spot ended, the camera went from one MSNBC ‘journalist’ to another each filling me with the love of the season as they personally wished me a ‘happy holiday’. A ‘happy holiday’? Not one single ‘commercial vender’ said ‘Merry Christmas’ or even ‘Happy New Year’.
That was it. I put down my laptop, the boys were getting a little warm anyway, and grabbed the remote. As my better half had gone to answer the phone, I could only curse these mythic words under my breath to myself , “Damn it, if I’m going to listen to propaganda, I’m going to listen to my propaganda!”
And I switched the channel to FOX news.