Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Am I an Elitist?

When I look at our culture I am often saddened, and at times even repulsed, by the lack of any interest or value in greatness. Many of the things our society imbues with importance I find at best shallow, and at worst actually dangerous. We need merely look at those we as a society see as heroes to understand this point. They are actors, or pop singers, or air headed sluts. These are the creatures we hold in high esteem. Not the producers, or inventors, or the men of great thought.
That said, I am sure many readers are thinking ‘what an asinine elitist this man is’. And that thought alone illuminates perfectly the true point of this post.
But first, another turn of thought.
I have often struggled with what I’ve felt to be a contradiction in the way I view our society. I am the first one to scream ‘elitist’ when any Liberal implies that the American public is nothing but a bunch of uneducated Christian zealot hillbillies. Yet, I myself in the first paragraph of this post, basically state that this same American public is merely a pack of thoughtless oafs. This had always seem to me somewhat hypocritical. And so the question in my mind had always been, ‘In this way, just how am I any different than the average academia elitist? From Liberals such as John Kerry and Jerry Springer?’
You will be glad to know this meditation was not in vain. I have my answer. And the meaning of this post.
When I speak in a negative way about the actions and values of a particular person or group, there is an inherent meaningful difference from when a Leftist does the same.
I do not believe, as the Leftist does, that the person or group are irreconcilable idiots. That they are unable to do and/or think for themselves. That they were born lower and can never reach a level of ability. That it is my responsibility to rule and run their lives as if they were helpless children or pets.
Thus the Leftist elitist’s hatred of the common comes from the anger he feels when they do not see his obvious superiority.
Instead, when I speak lowly of my fellow man, it is with a sad heart. Because I believe all men have a great potential. That all men have it in their souls to be exceptional. That all men have been instilled with the will to be better. That every human is self-sufficient. That he alone is the ruler of his life, and that is as it should be.
My sadness comes, then, when man does not reach that potential. And, unfortunately, this is quiet often. Do not get me wrong, I am not immune from this most human of ailments.
But I believe in humanity. And, I believe in the human. Its potential for greatness. Its innate ability.
This is what I believe. Just ask your friendly neighborhood Moonbat if he feels the same.