Sunday, February 25, 2007

An Angry Libertarian Rant

I do not like government. It does nothing well. It never has.
That said, I understand its usefulness. I willingly cede it my God given powers over self determination on such issues as national borders, warfare, police protection, and infrastructure. These things it does not so well either, but I am convinced it does them better than I could myself.
But that is where it ends. I do not believe it is governments responsibility to save the poor. To force vaccines on preteen girls. To take my legally earned money and give it to someone for the suffering of their grandparents under the guise of ‘retributions’. Or to stop me from smoking. Or to force me to wear a seat belt. Or frighten my children with end of the world pseudo-scientific scenarios. It is not the government’s concern that I make minimum wage or that I earn 100 times what other employees take in. My tax money should not be used to destroy embryos...you personally want to do that, pay for it yourself. And for God’s sakes, why would any sane human being want a bureaucrat to decide his or her healthcare?
If these things are what government is now for, I don’t want it. You can keep it. I got some guns, some basic understanding of survival techniques...me and mine will be fine on our own, thank you very much.
I am convinced that our founding fathers did not have the juggernaut that we now call the government in mind when they took their lives into their hands to found a free society. That word ‘free’, does it have any meaning left? Americans pride themselves on their freedom, I question its existence.
Every time there is a disaster, a tragedy, or simply little Johnny has the hiccups some self-important politicians take it upon themselves to draft a bevy of new laws. Laws to change our behavior. Laws that makes criminals out of decent men.
Laws should be made to protect person and property, most of the rest are simply government intrusions on freedom. Hey, there’s that word again.
I often ask myself, are Americans now afraid to be free? Is today’s American willing to cede his or her freedom simply for personal comfort and freedom from worry? The answer I find is nearly always unpleasant.
This is not the America I choose to inhabit. Nor the one, I believe, our forefathers had envisioned. No thank you, I’d rather secede. That is, if I could only figure out with which of the myriad governmental entities I need to file my secession papers...