Thursday, February 10, 2005

Poking the Bear

What do you think would happen in this scenario:

I am a college professor, for let’s say the University of Illinois. I have tenure. I work in the Ethnic Department.
In class one day, the subject of Chief Illiniwek is broached by one of my lovely students. I state, “Who cares about that stupid Indian. All injuns are wife beaters and drunks anyway.”

How long do you imagine I would have my job? Do you think the ACLU would be knocking down my door to handle my case? Do you think Ward Churchill would be asking for my head? Do you think my liberal minded students would protest my firing? Would talk show hosts everywhere be debating my right to freedom of speech? Would it matter that I didn’t even call for the killing of innocent Americans?

Just wondering.